How to write a book, publish it and make money
After the publication of “The ABC of selling performances,” I am regularly asked questions regarding the nuances of writing a book, its publication, and earnings. Here are the five most popular:
How to write a book?
How much time did I spend writing a book?
How to publish a book?
How much does it cost to write and publish a book?
How much do I earn on a book?
In this article, I will consistently answer these questions.
Question number 1: how to write a book?
1. Understand why you need this book. As a rule, most people do not know the answer to this question. And as a result, after a couple of attempts, they quit what they started. Before you begin, ask yourself a question and honestly admit: “Why am I writing a book?” When answering, the main thing is not to lie to yourself. Of course, you can say that you wanted to share your knowledge with the whole world, but you must be sincere.
I will share what motives motivated me:
increase credibility in the eyes of the client;
increase the average bill;
get new customers (I initially understood that after reading the book people can buy my other services);
Have a great gift for customers.
2. Prepare the structure of the book. One of the biggest mistakes is just to sit down and start writing. If there is no structure, then the chance of writing a book is reduced to zero. First you need to determine the final result, in other words, what will the reader get after reading the book? Then you need to describe its structure: blocks, chapters – name it as you like.
3. Prepare abstracts for each chapter. At the very beginning, I tried to skip this stage and abandoned the reference points. I just began to slander the content, listened and realized that I did not like: it was raw. Therefore, for each chapter, I began to write down theses, key points that I wanted to cover, and then tried again. The quality has increased dramatically!
4. Fill the structure with content in the order convenient for you. Personally, I did not write the book sequentially. I had 33 chapters, and I prepared the book in a convenient manner for myself: I could first say chapters No. 1 and No. 2, and then skip to chapter No. 17. Why did I do this? It was just that during the day I had live examples that related to the topic of the book, and while the memories were hot, I described them. With each article I wrote, I simply added a new “puzzle” to my future book.
5. Engage a copywriter / journalist. So, I was slandering the book. Of course, I can write, but I also understand that there are more competent people in this area. And so I found a person who helped me improve the quality of the text and gave feedback. As a result, the book was supplemented with new examples from my practice and my clients, and the presentation itself became more readable and enjoyable.
6. Read the material received. Of course, you should always check your material. Indeed, even if you have attracted a professional journalist, you must understand that he, too, can be wrong. I recommend reading the book from scratch.
Question number 2: how much time did I spend writing a book?
To begin with, I note that if you think of the process of writing a book as a waste of time, then you definitely won’t write it. It’s better to ask a different question: “How much time did I invest in writing a book?”
Most of the time I spent when I was just about to start writing it. It took me about two and a half months. Every day I searched for the best moment, and, unfortunately, it never appeared. Therefore, I just planned two days to write a book, and removed all other tasks from my schedule.
So, I started just writing, but literally 2 hours later I realized that in this way I could never fulfill my goal, and changed my tactics. All the first day I spent doing the structure of the book, describing what I would give it to readers. As a result, having invested a whole day of effort (about 12 hours), I headed home.
The second day was easy. The most amazing thing is that as soon as the structure of the book appeared, writing became incredibly easy!
Before my eyes there were 30 questions that I wanted to parse in the book, and gradually I began to slander the material. In the course of the second day I managed to say 15 articles, and I was extremely happy for this. Over the course of two weeks, I dictated the remaining material and hired a journalist to help write the book.
For two months the work on “combing” the material and its approval on my part lasted.
Thus, it took me 75 days to write the book from the moment I sat down at it until I received the final material.
Question number 3: how to publish a book?
There are two ways.
Way number 1: work with publishers MIF, EKSMO, AST, PETER and others.
The main plus of cooperation with them is assistance in promoting the book, as well as the well-known logo on your cover.
But there are too many minuses: a huge number of restrictions, a minimum% of book sales and a lot of additional requirements, for example, buying a book for your money if sales are weak.
Therefore, if you are a beginner and little known, then the chances of working with a publisher are few.
Way number 2: release the book yourself. In that…